AGGRESSIVE BAY AREA EMBEZZLEMENT DEFENSE LAWYER PROTECTING YOU BEYOND THE COURTROOM
Embezzlement, a theft crime, is commonly referred to as an employment offense because embezzlement commonly occurs in the workplace. In addition to a criminal record and potential incarceration, an individual convicted of embezzlement faces a litany of other consequences, including job loss and extreme difficulty gaining employment.
With over 35 years of experience, John M. Runfola is equipped to aggressively defend the charges against you and salvage your reputation. Mr. Runfola 's comprehensive approach to representation includes dissecting the government's evidence and crafting a creative defense theory. He will also arduously negotiate with the prosecutor for reduced or dismissed charges, and when applicable, a favorable plea.
WHAT IS EMBEZZLEMENT?
Embezzlement is labeled as a property crime because it involves:
- A fiduciary relationship between two individuals
- The taking of property
- An intent to deprive another of the property
- A betrayal of trust
- The fiduciary relationship occurs when someone entrusts another with certain financial responsibilities. These can range from a cashier's access to a cash register, a manager's access to petty cash, and an investor's access to his client's funds. To show embezzlement, the prosecutor must prove that the funds were used for purposes outside of the individual's fiduciary duty.
PENALTIES FOR EMBEZZLEMENT
- Embezzlement of funds less than $950: Petty theft punishable by up to six months in jail.
- Embezzlement of funds greater than $950: Grand theft punishable by up to 3 years in jail.
- Aggravating factors may increase the maximum possible punishment, such as embezzlement of government funds.
AGGRESSIVE REPRESENTATION FROM A SKILLED DEFENSE TEAM
Individuals often become aware of embezzlement investigations long before they are formally charged. It is most advantageous to contact our law firm at this stage so that we may conduct an independent investigation, develop a solid defense strategy, and negotiate with the authorities. In many of our cases, we were able to avoid the filing of charges by reaching a favorable early resolution.
The Law Office of John M. Runfola is comprised of defense attorneys, paralegals, investigators, and experts who have dedicated their careers to assisting clients with fighting criminal accusations from beginning to end, both inside and outside the courtroom.
Contact The Law Office of John M. Runfola today at (415) 391-4243 or email us to schedule a free consultation.